About Mama Cutsworth
One of the leading DJs on the Canadian prairies, Mama Cutsworth’s appeal comes from playing and remixing music that lives outside of the mainstream club scene. Whether it’s Fela Kuti or Fats Domino, the Jackson 5 or Jurassic 5, Nina Simone or Paul Simon, music from different worlds can effortlessly cohabitate in any set by Mama C.She’s known for throwing unique dance events, including the highly successful Juke Joint series, which covered music from the 1930s to the 1970s. Theme parties are part of her signature style as well, including a Princess Bride trivia game show and a 25th anniversary tribute to the Golden Girls. She’s taken that sound across Canada, from the 2010 Paralympics in Vancouver to Wicker Park in Chicago, to repeated appearances in St. John’s, Newfoundland. Recently, she played Toronto, Minneapolis and the Winnipeg International Folk Festival. Whether it’s a crowd of 5,000 or a house party of 50 people, Mama Cutsworth gives all of her energy to get the party going.
Over the years she has shared the stage with England’s Alice Russell, Berlin’s Lady Daisey, DJ Champion, Mike 2600, DJ Day, Kinnie Starr, MEN (JD and Jo of Le Tigre), Venetian Snares, and many more. She also teaches free weekly DJ classes to children and youth in Winnipeg’s city centre. And she has been producer and host of Stylus Radio, a weekly rare funk and soul program on CKUW 95.9 FM, since 2001. Check it out on-line or on-air, every Thursday 14:00-15:00CST. If you’d like to subscribe to the free weekly podcast, check it out here!
To book Mama Cutsworth, contact:
Achievements and Awards:
- Featured in The Uniter‘s Top 30 under 30 “who are making a difference and impacting their community in some way, or who are outstanding in their field.”
- One of three finalists for the Future Leaders of Manitoba Award, Arts Category, 2011
- Voted #2 DJ in all of Winnipeg in 2010, Uptown Magazine
- Featured in the documentary Technology Stole My Vinyl, 2009
- Voted #3 DJ in all of Winnipeg in 2006, Uptown Magazine
- First place (as well as first and only female competitor ever) in 2006 Clash of the Titans DJ Battle, Winnipeg