About Mama Cutsworth
Winnipeg’s Mama Cutsworth has been a DJ and dance party curator since 2004, building a reputation for her deep knowledge and love of music that lives outside of the mainstream club scene. She stands out for seamlessly mixing songs from extremely different genres and time periods within a single set.
She is one half of the popular DJ duo House of Gold Diamonds, alongside the talented DJ J. Jackson. Often surrounded by an army of drag queens, this dynamic pair is known for their infectious love of music and thoughtfully curated events. Their dance floor is filled with positive energy and fabulous people. By the end of the night, these two are likely at the front of the stage or perched on a speaker, proudly lip syncing their hearts out.
This past spring, Mama Cutsworth performed in Berlin, Graz, Dubai, Leuven and Brest with Speechless, a theatrical project she co-created with Colombian improvisers/circus performers Felipe Ortiz and Daniel Orrantia of Bogotá. Since forming in 2013, the group has also performed in Bogotá, São Paulo, Madrid, Barcelona, Sintra, Mexico City, Oslo, Paris, Berlin and Hamburg. Find out more about Speechless.
In 2012, she founded Mama Cutsworth’s DJ Academy for All Women, a welcoming space that teaches cis-gender, trans-gender and non-binary folks the basic skills and confidence it takes to become a professional DJ. After completing six seasons, the academy has seen over 75 students graduate.
She was also the producer and host of Stylus Radio, a weekly rare funk and soul program on CKUW 95.9 FM, that ran from May 2001 to January 2016.
Achievements and Awards:
- Recipient of artist grants from the Winnipeg Arts Council and Manitoba Arts Council in 2014 and 2015.
- Featured in The Uniter‘s Top 30 under 30 “who are making a difference and impacting their community in some way, or who are outstanding in their field.”
- One of three finalists for the Future Leaders of Manitoba Award, Arts Category, 2011
- Voted #2 DJ in all of Winnipeg in 2010, Uptown Magazine
- Voted #3 DJ in all of Winnipeg in 2006, Uptown Magazine
- First place (as well as first and only female competitor ever) in 2006 Clash of the Titans DJ Battle, Winnipeg